4.2 crash dump tools

Dan Tappan Tappan at BBNG.ARPA
Fri Oct 18 01:07:42 AEST 1985

We've been trying to look at some 4.2 crash dumps using 'ps', 'pstat',
and 'analyze', and apparently they all have a common problem - they
assume that the virtual addresses they get from nlist can be mapped
directly (via lseek()) to the vmcore dump. Unfortunatly
doadump/dumpsys() seem to make a dump of physical memory. Thus the
virtual addresses work fine for the initial kernal text and data
segments (which are loaded starting at 0, and then mapped such that
virtual = physical+8000000) but it doesn't necessarily work for any
data structures that are allocated later, specificly the proc table.

The solution would seem to be to put some minimal pager emulation into
the programs, but before I do that I wanted to check if someone out
there in unix-wizards-land had already gone through the exercise.
Does anyone out there have versions of ps, analyze and/or pstat that
do the right thing with virtual addresses (that I can have copies of)?

Thanks,
Dan Tappan
BB&N labs.
-------