PD mkfs? (or bad block marker)

Jim Rosenberg jr at sesame.UUCP
Sat Sep 28 16:28:48 AEST 1985

Does anybody have a program that will dynamically mark bad blocks on a Version
7 (really Version 6! -- but 7 -> 6 I can hack myself) file system?  I am
running Venix/86 and have a flaky disk.  The controller is DTC and came
with no software to mark the bad blocks shown on the sticker.  I am getting
bad blocks that got by mkfs.  I have source for the BSD badsect program
but it looks like it would take an awful lot of hacking to get it to work
under Venix.  Am I correct in assuming that the standard mkfs will collect
bad blocks into the inode with i-number 0?  Putting a bad block into that
inode looks like the easy part, from my cursory look at badsect.  The
tricky part is to keep fsck happy.

How about a public domain mkfs?  If there is such a thing I could hack it
to ask me for bad blocks first before it makes its own test.  I think that
would solve my problem just fine.  It would be much better to get mkfs to
do it than have to untangle pieces afterward.

Any help appreciated.

 Jim Rosenberg
 Voice: (412) 785-2806
 uucp: {decvax!idis,allegra}!pitt!amanuen!jr
 CIS: 71515,124