ULTRIX futures?

David C. Stewart davest%lumiere%tektronix.csnet at csnet-relay.a
Sun Feb 9 11:27:45 AEST 1986

	<Groan>.  Here they go again, folks.  The Shein/Gwyn Unix debates
round 10.  This seems to come up about once every 6 months or so.  You guys
really should square off at a Usenix BOF some time and we can vote on the
winner.

	In minimal fairness to both sides, nobody really knows the future
of Unix (although both of these guys will try to convince us that they do)
and trying to predict based on current trends is a shakey endevour.  For
each of these letters, grep -v 'is better than' and you're on your way.
There is so much value-judgement and emotional weighting that you can't
really see the forest for the trees.

	NOW - with that off my chest - let's get back to discussions that
we have some hope of resolving, ie of a technical nature.  (And please
don't give me that "well, there WERE technical issues raised in those
letters," business.  The technical issue that has "is better than" as the
sole proof is specious.)

Dave
Tektronix Unix Support

PS: My manager worked with Doug for a while at the P1003 meetings and tells
me that he is 100% anti-BSD in person as well.  Notice that both of these
gentlemen work in a "mixed" environment of BSD/SV.  Maybe oil and water
don't mix?  How about it Pyramid?  DCS