unix-wizards information hounds please read

Curtis Jackson rcj at burl.UUCP
Fri Mar 21 04:13:44 AEST 1986

In article <123 at graffiti.UUCP> bruce at graffiti.UUCP (Bruce Jilek) writes:
>Doesn't vi have this capability?  I can't find it in the documentation.
>I do know that you can use ':#z=' (# = line no.) to bracket a line with lines
>of minuses, but how about a real ruler?

Sorry to be picky here but, as has been mentioned numerous times in the
past, it helps if you include information with questions like:

a) What operating system and what version of it are you running?
b) What hardware is it running on?
c) What version/vendor of the software/hardware is your question concerning?

Even if you think these things may not apply, put them in anyway -- it doesn't
take much time.  You may think, for example, that the type of hardware running
the vi in question is irrevelent, but what if you are forced to run a reduced-
functionality vi due to hardware constraints?  Some vi's may have the ruler
function, yours may not.  Some vendor's vi's may have it, your vendor's
may not.

Anyway, I think you get the point; start question articles with some line
that says:

I am running SVR2 on a Vax 11/780...

or even more info, particularly if it has the remotest chance of being
applicable:

I am running SVR2 on a Vax 11/780 with 10meg memory and both RM-05 and
RA-81 drives...

Thanks for listening, and to the clown who is now ready to post a bogus
article saying "I am running..." and proceed to list all the chip numbers
and vendor part numbers of his/her equipment, don't bother.  ;-)
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj