ULTRIX Information and experiences

Jacob Levy jaakov at WISDOM.BITNET
Fri Mar 21 01:43:16 AEST 1986

Expires:
Real-Subject: ULTRIX information and experiences

We are in the process of acquiring a new computer for our CS Dept, and
DEC have suggested that  a VAX  8600 would suit  our computing  needs.
We already have a 11/750 and 11/730 as well as several  SUN2's, all of
which are running Bsd 4.2 and on a local ethernet.

We'd like to ask the net the following questions -

1. Are there any sites out there with experience in connecting a 8600
   with ULTRIX into such a configuration?  What kind of  problems may
   be expected?

2. What is your experience with  porting software  from VAXen running
   4.2 to ULTRIX? Is this a major problem, or is it easy?

3. What degree of compatibility exists between the newest  version of
   ULTRIX and Bsd 4.3?

4. What is your experience with support  of DEC  for ULTRIX?  Do they
   supply bug fixes and FCO's? Is there any charge for upgrades?

5. Is there anyone  out there who  has an  ULTRIX system  with source
   license? DEC Israel promised this as part of our deal..

Please indicate any  bad experiences or problems not covered by the
above questions also.

Please answer by mail to me, and if there is sufficient response, I'll
summarize to the net.

        ----J---