Microport Unix -- Large Model Problems

Steve Barber barber at rabbit1.UUCP
Sun Nov 2 06:33:11 AEST 1986

In article <401 at maynard.UUCP>, campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
> In article <188 at vsedev.VSE.COM> ron at vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax) writes:
> >Has anyone  else  out  there  been  experiencing  problems  with porting
> >programs to Microport Unix V/AT that fall into the large model category?

> ....  The most common problem I've found (especially from code
> written on 68Ks and VAXen) is for people to not bother declaring pointer
> valued objects:

Another common problem is passing NULL as pointer argument.  NULL is
#defined as 0, which is 2 bytes.  Large model pointers are 4 bytes, so
the stack frame is now basically garbage.  The solution is to cast the
NULLs to the appropriate types.  Ahhh..Intel..you can never be forgiven
for making us have to worry about memory models  (flames by mail only,
please).

--
Steve Barber    Rabbit Software Corp.
...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!barber  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!hutch!barber