Microport System V/AT help request

J.R. Stoner asgard at cpro.UUCP
Fri Oct 3 15:42:48 AEST 1986

In article <8114 at lanl.ARPA>, sam at lanl.ARPA (Sam A Matthews) writes:

> 	I'm having a problem with Microport's System V/AT running on a
> Kaypro 286i, maybe someone out there in netland can help me. First, my
> configuration:
>
> 	Kaypro 286i
> 	640k RAM
> 	30Mb HD
> 	1.2Mb Floppie (one)
> 	Everex EGA board
> 	NEC Multisync Monitor
> 	Sys V/AT "Complete system"
>
> 	I have 2 partitions, 10Mb DOS, 20Mb UNIX.
					^^^^^^^^^

> The problem: When I do a "soft boot" with Ctrl/Alt/Del, I get an error message
> in the middle of the screen: "Unexpected SW Interrupt 06 at F000:0059  Type
> (R)eboot, any other key to continue" The system hangs at this point requiring
> a complete power down to fix.
>
> Also, does anybody have a nroff/troff printer driver for an Ebson compatible
> parallel printer?
>
> Sam Matthews			       /\|/\     "We put a star
> sam at lanl.ARPA			     --> * <--      in a box."
> (ihnp4 or cmcl2)!lanl!sam	       \/|\/

I am running SVAT on a Chop-Suey model clone.  This machine has never had
compatibility problems.  My suspicion is that the error on your Kaypro does
not appear consistently.  I get this too and I suspect it is a bug in the
machine code fragment that patches the CtlAltDel entry point to perform the
full memory test instead of the "quick" boot sequence.  If there was a
delayed interrupt from the hard disk when the back-patching was supposed to
occur, I can see where the problem would lie.

On another note, I can't see how you can do real work with all three
portions existing on one 20Mb partition.  It is a saving grace if you can
get the second hard disk in your system.  I am using the second drive to
hold the USENET files (20Mb/week).