Plan 9?

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 07:32:11 AEST 1988

As quoted from <24550 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> by madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost):
+---------------
| In article <282 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU> jherr at umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) writes:
| |So how many re-writes of UNIX do we have running right now, let me
| |see how many I know of.
| [...]
| |- Xenix.
|
| I was under the impression that Xenix was the microsoft port of SysV
| to the intel architecture, not a rewrite.
+---------------

Wrong.  Not only does Xenix exist for the 68000 (Radio Scrap [ ;-) ] Model
16, AKA Tandy 6000) but I've heard that there is a Vax Xenix (though why
anyone would want to run Vax Xenix when there are plenty of *real* Unixes to
run is beyond me).

Also:  many (not all, but many) Xenix "System V's" are really Version 7
internally (/etc/ttys instead of /etc/inittab), and *all* Xenix 3's are
Version 7 instead of System III.

On the other hand, it's *not* a rewrite, either, except insofar as the
"fake" System III/V versions have code added that wasn't in the V7 source
Microsoft was working from.  And the (few?) "real" System V versions are
apparently based on Interactive's 386 Unix port.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc