HP-UX Plug

Wayne Krone wk at hpirs.HP.COM
Wed Mar 9 11:47:05 AEST 1988

> / hpirs:comp.unix.wizards / rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) /  7:22 am  Mar  6, 1988 /
>
>   While I agree that HP-UX is nice and it does have stuff from BSD
> it only passes SVVS/SVID for Unix System V.2.2 .  The current release
> of Sys V is at least V.3.1 and there have been big additions.  For example
> streams and support for International character systems.  HP does have
> variants of HP-UX for international character support but in a
> proprietary and non-V.3.1 compatible fashion.  If you use their international
> scheme you get locked into their systems, losing vendor independence.

If vendor independence is what you are after, I suggest following the
guidelines published in the Internationalization section of the X/Open
Portability Guide.  The internationalization defined by X/Open was
derived from the HP Native Language Support (NLS) product and is now
available from many of the X/Open member companies, including HP and
AT&T.

Wayne Krone
Hewlett-Packard