Re^2: Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

Stan Brown stan at sdba.UUCP
Tue May 24 08:21:41 AEST 1988

> In article <7941 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> > In article <3141 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> > >On 4.3BSD systems, a script that begins with "#! /bin/csh -f" will be
> >
> > It most certainly does NOT work well!  In practice one ALWAYS needs
> > to put the -f there,
>
> Depends what the intended use of the script is.  If you were writing
> something for just your own use, being able to write it using the same
> environment that you would use to just type the commands to the shell
> must surely be easier (ie: the script uses all your aliases, variables,
> etc, as imported from .cshrc).
>
> Then surely no-one sane would actually write a csh script to be used
> for anything more than personal uses, its programming language is so
> foul (only just a bit better than the v6 shell it replaced) that you'd
> have to be insane.

	Interesting, I know a real time indutstrial control
	supervisory system where a large part > 20 % of the code is
	csh scripts (Please note that I didn't say I like it, just
	that I knew it existed !).

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan