Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Thu May 19 09:51:50 AEST 1988

> Does anyone really think that Sun is going to desert their
> existing customer base when they merge their OS definition with
> AT&T's?  I expect the first full release of the merged
> Unix to include csh.

I would expect the first OS release from Sun that is based on the merged UNIX
to include "csh" (DISCLAIMER: this is NOT an official policy statement from
Sun, it's just what I expect to happen, because our customer base will expect
it to be there).

This is *not* equivalent to expecting the stuff AT&T ships on the S5R4 source
tape to include "csh".  Nothing prevents us from adding "csh" to our release if
AT&T doesn't put it on the tape.  Whether it goes on the tapes AT&T ships is up
to AT&T.  Whether it goes on the tapes Sun ships is up to Sun.

I don't know whether AT&T will put it on their tapes or not; as I said, that's
up to AT&T.  If you want AT&T to ship it, tell them so.