uw (Unix Windows)

Todd Burkey trb at stag.UUCP
Fri May 6 08:55:55 AEST 1988

Hi,
  I was wondering if anyone has ported uw to sysV? I can't seem to get
  uw to run on the Silicon Graphics/CDC-910 (SysV) or the Apollo
  SysV/BSD4.2 combo. The Apollo I can sorta understand having troubles,
  since it doesn't appear to support AF_UNIX under SR9.7 (just AF_INET).
  The SG machine, however, was supposed to have the Berkeley extensions
  (even had a library called libbsd.a which had all the goodies in it),
  but the closest I could come to getting uw to work was a message like:
    socket: protocol not supported
  even though /etc/protocols looked ok.

  In case you don't know what Unix Windows is, it is basically a server that
  runs on the host Unix system and allows you to log in with a Mac, Amiga,
  or Atari ST running the client side of uw and open up to 7 seperate
  windows/processes over one RS232 line.  Unix Windows was originally developed
  for the mac and has since been ported to other personal graphics computers.
  On the ST version (thanks to the Lachman people), we have a very clean
  terminal environment with multiple windows, icon'ing windows, multi-window
  file/printer logging, etc. You can actually get 4 80x24 character windows
  up on the screen at once with NO overlap (very, very tiny text, of course).
  Many BSD systems now come with uw installed in /usr/ucb (my Symmetric even
  came with it), and I've had no trouble compiling the server on other BSD
  systems (Sun's and Vaxes)...but then it is only 800 lines of code.

   -Todd Burkey     "A member of STdNET-The ST developers' Network"
    trb at stag.UUCP
    ...ihnp4!bungia!stag!trb

[please reply to the above address...I just realized I'm logged in as root]