System V Release 4.0 Developers

carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 13 03:15:00 AEST 1988

/* Written  2:36 pm  Oct 11, 1988 by gwyn at smoke.ARPA in s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.wizards */
In article <216100004 at s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>While sh doesn't deal with stopped/background jobs, ksh does,

On BSD systems.  Whether or not that is provided for SVR4.0 is a mystery.
/* End of text from s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.wizards */

Wow. It never occurred to me that job control wouldn't be enabled in ksh
for SysVR4. We ported it to a number of BSD systems, and the only effort
enabling job control took was switching a flag in the makefile. My fiance
(the undergraduate) is writing a shell, and she got job control to work
(mostly-the interface is marginal, but you can do it). Do you really
believe that AT&T and Sun are *that* stupid? Wait, don't answer that...
The gist here is, if ksh for SysVR4 doesn't have job control, that would
mean that someone decided to *not* have it, as opposed to it not being
feasible.

Alan M. Carroll          "How many danger signs did you ignore?
carroll at s.cs.uiuc.edu     How many times had you heard it all before?" - AP&EW
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll