what this panic msg tells me ?????

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Mar 14 04:21:20 AEST 1989

In article <648 at ocsmd.ocs.com> motti at ocsmd.ocs.com (Motti Bazar) writes:
	[ he's writing a driver ]

| When booting I get the message:
|     panic: srmount(): cannot cvtv7superb() yet
| and the nice message **  Safe to Power Off  **, ** Press Any Key ....
| What does it mean ???? does it have any relation to my driver ????

  Means yo' is in deeeeep trouble. Seriously, see below.

| By the way, the panic message comes after the lines:
|     Standard serial board COM1 ...
|     Parallel port ...
|     rootdev 1/40, pipedev 1/40, swapdev 1/41
|     disk[D] drive 0: cyls = 58, heads = 64, secs = 32

  Unless you have a truly bizarre disk, you have clobbered the hard disk
description. I don't think you have 64 heads or only 58 cylinders. You
*may* have clobbered the description of the disk with your driver, but
that's only a guess. I did something similar with a power spike.

  You could try to reset the drive paramaters. I don't have manuals
handy, but I think it's hdinit that will do it. Boot from your backup
floppy boot disk and try that. If you don't have a floppy boot you might
be able to use your N1 disk, but I haven't tried it.

  Save what you can. I doubt that the disk will completely recover if
you reset the type, but you might be really lucky.

| Is there any solution ?????????

  When writing drivers keep **lots** of backups.

| When I'll finish the driver I'll let you know (anybody interested please
| mail me) and will make it available to anybody that want to use our
| CD-ROM controller.

  Be sure to get it out in beta test to a few sites with a lot of serial
lines. Preferably sites with dumb serial cards. Beating the interrupts
tends to shake things out. When the driver is well debugged I'm sure
everyone would like a copy, if only to study.

  The Xenix device driver manual section is pretty helpful.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)