SCO XENIX 2.3.2 on i486

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at jpradley.uucp
Tue Nov 6 02:05:41 AEST 1990

In article <18 at dhump.lakesys.COM> mort at dhump.lakesys.COM (Marty Wiedmeyer) writes:
>We have SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2 and I have been asked to install it on an
>NCR PC486/MC25.
>2)	How to copy the distribution disks to 3.5. I have 5.25" media.
>	I believe I've copied all of the disks with
>	dd if=/dev/fd096ds15 of=/dev/fd1135ds18. The one problem I
>	have is with the Installation Boot floppy (N1). It won't boot!
>	I tried making a bootable disk with mkdev fd and dd'ing N1 to
>	it to no avail.

I discovered that problem when my SCO dealer copied 5.25" disks to 3.5" disks
for me, and I couldn't get started. The problem is the boot track.

If you can get to an already installed system, see if you don't have boot
tracks in /etc:
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd135ds18boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd135ds9boot0
-r--------   1 bin      bin          546 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd48ds9boot0
-r--------   1 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds15boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds18boot0
-r--------   2 bin      bin          547 Sep 29  1987 /etc/fd96ds9boot0

You can then look in /usr/lib/mkdev/fd do get the parameters for using 'dd' to
overwrite what you copied from the large diskette by the correct program for
the 3.5" diskette.

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr at jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341