IDE controllers

Jan Isley jan at bagend.uucp
Wed Nov 21 12:28:36 AEST 1990

jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>david at talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) writes:
>>Hello,
>>	I have been looking at some of the low end 386sx machines.  I would
>>like to buy one for working at home.  All of the ones that I have seen have
>>IDE hard drives.  I have never used IDE controllers or hard drives.  Will
>>SCO Unix/Xenix run ok on one of these machines?

>IDE should work just fine.  I've had no problem with using IDE with Novell.  I
>plan on upgrading my system's hard drive configuration from a small 40 Mb and
>a 10 Mb ST506 MFM to a Conner CP-3204F.  If there is a problem with IDE, it
>certainly would surprise me.

It does not suprise me that a Novell user would assume that SCO would behave
just like Novell. :-)

It depends on at least 4 variables: the motherboard, controller, drive, and
version of SCO.  I can tell you from personal experience that there are many
combinations of these 4 variables that do *not* work together.  Some will.

Find a reputable dealer, and/or someone who has a reliable system configured.
NOTE, reliable does not mean, "will it boot".

I will also point out that in the latest version of Xenix System V/386 that
we got from SCO *today*, there are no supported IDE devices listed.

Your milage WILL vary.

Before everyone sends mail asking for my personal compatibility list...
It is very simple, pay a little more and buy name brands from reliable
people that service the *nix business.  Frequent the elcheapo back pages
of magazine x selling made who knows where bargain basement boards and you
will get what you pay for.
--
Do not suffer the company of fools.  | home jan at bagend 404-434-1335
Buddha                               | known_universe!gatech!bagend!jan