Does uu/ungetty force S0=1 for dial out lines?

Paul Stath prs at tcsc3b2.tcsc.com
Wed Jan 30 15:07:40 AEST 1991

Start-up disclaimer:
	I have never worked on a Xenix system before, and do not know all of
	the technical ins and outs.

	On AT&T System V, the uugetty program is kind enough to let other
	programs take over the line.  When this happens, the program creates
	a lock file to signify that it has the line.  After the program is
	finished, your AA on/off script in this case, it releases the lock file.
	When this happens, uugetty is respawned on the line.  During this
	respawn of uugetty, the DTR to the modem probably drops.  (You should
	see this happen, the Terminal Ready light goes off then on.)

	Most modems are configured to reset to the setup stored in memory,
	on a drop of DTR.  This may be what is happening.

	When the line is not defined as an outgoing line, then regular getty
	is probably used, and this DTR drop does not occur.

	Try modifying your script to not only turn on/off AA, but also save the
	setting in the modem.  Then when your script finishes, DTR drops,
	and the modem will restore the value you have just stored.

	Of course, this may be WAY off base.  If so, you can't say I didn't
	warn you ;-).