Does uu/ungetty force S0=1 for dial out lines?

Bill Irwin bill at twg.bc.ca
Wed Jan 30 17:40:36 AEST 1991

chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

:The moral of the story is if you are going to put a modem on the
:line - even if you aren't running uucp upon it - then make sure
:there is a good Devices entry.

I have come to the realization that the &hayes2400 entry in
Dialers was running whenever the port was enabled.  By specifying
the hayes1200 dialer, which doesn't set S0, the problem is gone.

:In article <563 at twg.bc.ca> bill at twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
:>I have a script that runs every
:>15  minutes and determines if it is after hours it will turn auto
:>answer  on;   and  if it is business hours, turn  it  off.

:Don't do that.  If you have the line properly configured in Devices
:then it will stop breaking every time somebody logs in and out.  Run
:enable(1) and disable(1) through cron to turn the line on and off for
:incoming logins.  Even if a modem line is never used for dialout --
:or even by uucp for that matter -- you should still put it in Devices.

:>I would rather it leave it alone and not assume that just because
:>a  port is defined as an outgoing uucp line and it happens to  be
:>enabled,  that  one automatically wants the modem to  answer  the
:>phone.

:Errrr...enabling the line by definition says you want the modem to
:answer the phone.  If you don't want the modem to automatically answer
:the line, then you don't want it disabled. [Chip meant enabled]

This is a hold over from the dark past when we were running Altos
systems that required one to be root in order to enable/disable
ports.  This was also years before HDB uucp as well.  The theory
of disabling a port to drop DTR so the modem stops answering the
phone is great, as long as the modem is configured properly to
follow the DTR signal.  In a heavy support environment, where a
modem can be pulled out of service and another substituted, I
found that I could not rely on everyone to ensure that a modem
was configured properly before putting it in service.

We found modems occasionally answering the phone on business
lines.  Having a shell script determine if a particular port
should be answering or not, based on time of day and weekend or
not, was the best way to ensure that no caller was ever greeted
with a screech in their ear.

I still prefer it because I believe there is less that can go
wrong, once the relationships between the files and the
functionality of HDB is understood.

:And my last piece of advice is that right-justification looks like
:crap on crt's.  Please leave it ragged right.  I thank you, and my
:astigmatismatic eyeballs thank you.

Our newsreader brings up our word processor for editing and the
default ruler is right justified.  I am so used to seeing
justified text that I never noticed that it was doing this for
articles.  You are the first one to ever mention this, but since
CRTs aren't going to be displaying proportionally, there is no
point in justifying.  As you can see, I've changed my default
setting.

Thanks for the advice.  I've saved your description of getty
behavior for others who may be mystified.
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada