Telnet programs to connect to Xenix

Brian Evans Esq bevans at tanus.oz.au
Sun Jan 6 15:36:03 AEST 1991

mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) writes:
>In article <113 at embassy.nsi.com> lance at embassy.nsi.com (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
>>connect to SCO's TCP/IP package.  I have tried NCSA's Telnet packages on
>>both the PC and the Mac, and the MacIP package.  Although FTP and Finger
>
>I used NCSA Telnet 2.2 on a 386 PC using the WD8003E card and NCSA Telnet 2.3
>on a Mac IIx with the Apple Ethernet card talking to a Tandy 4000LX running
>XENIX 2.3.2 and SCO TCP/IP with no problems.  The Tandy 4000LX is now
>running in a network with 3C503 and 3C523 boards and although I have no
>problems connecting to the 4000LX from a Sun 386i/250 on the same wire
>I am told that users on PC's and PS/2's have problems.
>
>At our site (IU CS Department) we dropped the 3C501/503 cards with NCSA
>Telnet because of frequent lock-ups under NCSA Telnet; these went away
>when we switched to WD8003E cards (which are a lot cheaper anyway, cost
>$134 in NY).
>
>I had similar problems with 3C501 and 503 cards under SCO UNIX 3.2.1
>and SCO TCP/IP (ODT 1.0).  The 3C501 card worked, but netstat returned
>many errors; the 503 showed no errors but I could not connect from a
>PC using NCSA Telnet about six feet away.  Switching to the WD8003EPR
>solved the problem.  I've had problems using the WD8013 (16-bit) but
>believe these to be installation problems; the 8013 is now explicitly
>supported by SCO.
>
>For various reasons, then, I've standardized on the WD cards (especially
>as there's a WD BBS that offers latest versions of drivers/test software,
>etc.).
>--

I have had some of these experiences myself and I too have standardised on
WD8003e or the WD8003eb which seem to work well.  I have however been able to
connect to XENIX and UNIX (SCO) using a 3C523 (Microchannel) on my PS/2.

 _--_|\        Brian Evans      Internet: bevans at tanus.oz.au
/      \       P.O Box 232    Compu$erve: 72500,1355 | Fax: +61 3 412-1551
\_.--._/       Avondale Heights, 3034            VoiceMail: +61 3 506-1629
      v        Victoria, Australia