ctsflow solution for xenix cu/uucico and fas question

Uwe Doering gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Fri Jun 28 05:40:15 AEST 1991

klarich at d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) writes:

>I would rather use fas as my serial driver; but, I can't.  My needs require
>that I use the parameter 'SYSTTY=SIO' in my /etc/default/boot file.  In the
>documentation for fas, it says that fas and sio can't exist in the same
>kermell.  Why is this?  Also, If someone using fas and xenix knows what would
>happen if I install fas and try to use  com1 as the systty, please let me
>know.  If fas and sio could be installed in the same kernell, this would solve
>all my modem and console problems.

The problem with sio is that it tries to be smart in that it looks at
several I/O addresses whether it can find a UART at that location, and
then tries to determine what type of card it is, and how many cards are
available. After sio decided that it found a card of a known type, it
attaches all UARTs on this card to itself, even if they belong to FAS.
The result of this conflict usually is that you can't boot with this
kernel. It will simply hang until you press the red button.

Until now, I don't know of any way to tell sio that it shouldn't do
that card guessing. So you either find a way to throw sio out, or
you can't use FAS. Sorry, but complain to SCO. Obviously, they
never thought of the possibility that there might be a second
serial dumb port driver in the kernel.

     Uwe
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini at geminix.in-berlin.de
Germany      |  UUCP : ...!unido!fub!geminix.in-berlin.de!gemini