Trouble with uucp/cu/dialing sharing a phone line

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Thu Dec 29 09:12:36 AEST 1988

In article <368 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>Unless Sandy has been able to ignore a copyright, he can only distribute
>the binaries of the init.  I had the same question which he answered a
>while ago.

I had always assumed Sandy's "init" was written from scratch, and source
was available from him.  Anyway, I'm sure he'll clarify this.

Jonathan's comments were unclear as to who claims the copyright on Sandy's
init, and I may be stating the obvious, but just in case not, one cannot
distribute binaries compiled from licensed AT&T UNIX source code without an
appropriate "license to distribute binaries."  If the init is not AT&T
derived (which is what I had thought), Sandy would be bound only by the
agreement he had with the original author.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu