Looking at Pathalias and Xenix

Jay M. Libove root at libove.UUCP
Tue Dec 13 13:07:03 AEST 1988

>From article <6608 at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, by mdella at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Marcos R. Della):
> I was wondering is SOMEONE out there has gotten the pathalias9.1 program
> to work on a 16 bit machine. I am running SCO xenix and have not been
> able to get it to work at all without the out of memory errors. I
> tried putting the -Mh and/or the -LARGE -M2l options in the compiler
> line, but I keep getting memory mismatches when compiling the thing
> together... Any clues?
> Any help on what needs to be changed for a xenix box?

chip at ateng.UUCP has modified pathalias v9 to run on SCO Xenix machines,
but unfortunately the map has grown to the point where even his extensive
and amazing modifications can't grow pathalias enough to swallow the map
as it is.

On my machine (libove.UUCP) the same pathalias binary that used to work
now runs almost to completion, and then freezes; I think it hits the top
of memory (my system has 2048K, with 1402K as the maximum user process
size) and tries to swap. Maybe it is a system bug.

In any case, until someone can come up with a more memory efficient
method of processing the maps, SCO Xenix 2.2.1 (80286) sites with 2MB
or less of memory won't be able to process the whole map. *SIGH*

I do hope that someone can prove me wrong!

Jay Libove		ARPA:	jl42 at andrew.cmu.edu or libove at cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3	BITnet:	jl42 at andrew or jl42 at drycas
Pittsburgh, PA 15206	UUCP:	uunet!nfsun!libove!libove or
(412) 362-8983		UUCP:	psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove