cp on 386 xenix problem

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Tue Feb 9 06:37:50 AEST 1988

In article <6649 at oberon.USC.EDU> farhad at corwin.usc.edu (Farhad Khansefid) writes:
| [...]
| Recently, when logged in as root, i tried to copy the contents of
| current directory to a /safe directory by simply typing:
|
| 			cp * /safe
|
| the cp command copied all the files until it reached a 4.9Meg file and then
| the system hung. I rebooted, cleaned up the file system (fsck) and retried,
| only to get the same result. My question is why?
|
| 	- do i need to play with the ulimit!
	sure do. Default is about 2MB (and I wouldn't set it much higher
unless you're *sure* you need to and won't get bitten.
| 	- is it because filesize>max available memory!
	no
| 	- is there a bug in cp. if so, anyone has the fix?
	not really a bug. If the /safe directory is in the same place as
/tmp you also may have run the system out of tmp space, a problem not
directly related to ulimit.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)