cp on 386 xenix problem

Farhad Khansefid farhad at corwin.usc.edu
Tue Feb 2 16:24:28 AEST 1988

Hi,

I have been happily using sco 386 xenix (2.2.1) on an Acer 1100 with
3Meg memory (minus 128k used internally), 80 Meg Miniscribe HD, a
Digiboard com/8s multi serial port and tape drive for quite some time
now.

Recently, when logged in as root, i tried to copy the contents of
current directory to a /safe directory by simply typing:

			cp * /safe

the cp command copied all the files until it reached a 4.9Meg file and then
the system hung. I rebooted, cleaned up the file system (fsck) and retried,
only to get the same result. My question is why?

	- do i need to play with the ulimit!
	- is it because filesize>max available memory!
	- is there a bug in cp. if so, anyone has the fix?

I think only the last case should result in a dead system. Speaking of bugs,
is there an (un)official bug list for sco xenix?

I should mention that I am very happy so far with the performance of the
above system and the 386 xenix.

Please reply directly to me ( farhad at usc.corwin.edu ) or if you think
your response is of general interest, please post since I follow this
group closely.