XENIX ESDI CRASHES

Robert Alan Johnson raj at spl1.UUCP
Fri Mar 18 11:24:06 AEST 1988

> This box has all 32bit memory.  Since I posted I have replaced
> the memory, the controller, did a low level disk format,
> reinstalled (flawlessly), then BOOM!.  Down she went when I
> tried to install the drivers for an eight port board
> (Consensys).  I think this particular Compaq was made on a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had intewresting problems with Consensys boards in a COMPAQ about
five months age.  It wasn't under ESDI but standard SCO.  I kept crashing
at random times.

After a few calls to Consensys, they admitted to compatability problems
with COMPAQ motherboards (or clones thereof), something about a PAL
mismatch.

They suggested an INTEL compatible motherboard.

I gave up on the consensys and installed a Control systems SMART
HOSTESS, no problems.

BTW: I recently called Consensys about resurrecting the boards (yes
I still own them) to have them work under SCO 386 on a real INTEL
motherboard system.  I needed 386 drivers.  It seems that there is
a new version of the consensys board, and of course, their drivers are
not downward compatible.

I've called 3 times, always promised a call back in 10 mins, I'm
still waiting.  *$&#'ed again!  Anyone want to buy 2 unused 8 port
consensys boards?

--

Robert A. Johnson, SYSOP        UUCP: {ihnp4,ddsw1,ll1!ll1a,laidbak}!spl1!raj
The Software Public Library    VOICE: 1 312 248 5777