DOS under Xenix

Chris Lewis clewis at ecicrl.UUCP
Mon Nov 7 10:35:17 AEST 1988

In article <11429 at conexch.UUCP> root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>In article <164 at jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john at jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:
>>Yes, the final version [of VP/ix] is much better.  I use it with a comm program
>>at 9600 baud (and ~ get 2400 baud throughput, but anyway....)  [Yes,
>>it uses flow control; it's for a specialized application.]
>
>But, who makes a smart multi-port card that has a driver that supports
>VP/ix.  Bell Technologies claims their ACE driver (v0.4 beta) does, but
>it doesn't work for my client using it on an Everex 386/20.

Connect-Tech Inc's "Intellicon" board - 2, 4 or 8 ports.

Computone's Advantage and Intelliport boards: 2, 4, 8 or 16 ports.

We prefer the former because they're simpler, cheaper and don't get in
the way.

The latter has some pretty spectacular features (transparent AUX printer
handling, multiple virtual screens, and "keyboard macros") which would
be handy in some applications, but not for others.

As far as reliability/compatibility goes, we've had no problems whatsoever
with the Connect-Tech boards - many months of solid dependability with
VP/IX (eg: DOS WordPerfect, Symphony and 123) and UNIX (386/ix).  One of our
customers has an Intelliport board on Xenix - once we managed to demuck the
configuration screwups his previous consultants introduced, it appears
to be working quite well (VP/IX, UNIX WordPerfect etc.)  However, there
have been a few circumstances that have led us to believe that individual
channels can get hungup - though we haven't been able to confirm them.

--
Chris Lewis