timekeeping

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Apr 23 00:17:24 AEST 1989

In article <275 at mplex.UUCP> fff at mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>Can someone tell me why it is that Xenix keeps such lousy time?
>
>We are running various flavours of SCO Xenix on true blue IBM AT's
>and Hewlett Packard Vectra RS/20's (386) and none of these machines
>keeps time better than a $20 watch.  Systems are often 5 minutes slow
>in a week.

I have one site with 10 SCO installations.  Time keeping varies primarily
depending on hardward.

Go to your "Run Time Environment" SCO manual, turn to the HW section, and look
at the command clockrate.  You will have to try different values until you get
it right for the machine you are running on.

This works while the machine is running.   Since you only look at the clock on
boot-up Xenix is keeping time the rest of the time.  If time changes when the
machines are powered off it is hardware.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP