kernal panic, telebit fix, SCO XENIX 2.3.1 and solution

Dave Binette dave at norsat.UUCP
Wed Apr 5 07:07:22 AEST 1989

SCO XENIX support, as usual, turned out to be well worth the investment.

I experienced three kernal panics in about 2 hours.

Having gone through major upgrades from a 286 to a 386 and from XENIX
2.x to 2.3.1 our system ran fine.

During the upgrade I re-installed the telebit fix on top of 2.3.1

Very shortly after installing the CTS/RTS patch, my kernal panicked.
(about 5 minutes into receiving my news-feed from van-bc)

A call to SCO support revealed that the telebit fix should not be used on
2.3.1.

After removing, and re-installing the link kit I did a tar tv on the
telebit fix diskettes to see what files it had modified. After removing the
files from my filesystem and re-installing them with custom,
(option 5- restore a specific file) all is well again.

The affected files were:
   /bin/cu
   /usr/bin/rmail
   /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
   /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT
   /usr/lib/uucp/dialTBIT.c
   /usr/lib/uucp/makefile

summary: don't use the telebit fix on 2.3.1, especially with CTS/RTS fix.

--
---
usenet:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!norsat!dave     (Dave Binette)