Bad Hertz Value

Jerry Merlaine jom at belltec.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 11:54:22 AEST 1989

In XENIX/386 2.2 and 2.3, when we run the Streamlined Networks TCP/IP
rsh and rcp programs, this string appears after a successful run:

	Bad Hertz Value

Streamlined assures me that it is not in their source code.
This string never appeared in Microport SV/AT or UNIX/386 V.3.[01] ports.
In the XENIX-into-UNIX merge product, AT&T UNIX V.3.2, this string
was added in as part of the XENIX merge, and was expounded upon to
make it more understandable:

	Bad Hertz Value
	Using 100 from <sys/param.h>

To quote from "Duck Soup", the best Marx Brother movie,
    Someone:
	It's so simple a 4-year-old child could understand it!

    Groucho:
	Go get me a 4-year-old child, I can't make heads or tails of it.

These strings do not appear anywhere in the kernel of any or the libraries.
Or the include files.  I'm about to launch a "strings" of the hard disk.
It won't tell me what file the string is from, but at least I'll know that
it doesn't pop into existence from the cosmic background radiation.

Anybody have a clue?

Jerry O. Merlaine
pacbell.com!belltec!jom