XBBS compile on uport 286

73701000 lcc at ucscb.UCSC.EDU
Thu May 25 17:48:33 AEST 1989

In article <486 at ka3adu.UUCP> lester at ka3adu.UUCP (lester) writes:
>I've been having a problem getting XBBS to compile on uport 286
>ver 2.3. I'm currently running XBBS ver 7.2.5 and am try to upgrade to the
>latest version. I had this problem when I first tried to compile XBBS last
>year and somebody had a simple fix for it.
>
>The error I get is;
>
>Assembler: bbsc1.c
>          aline 13300  : Hash table overflow

That's bad code generation comming from the back end of the compiler. It
most likely not a data structure that is too big because the front end of the
compiler does range checking that I think would have caught that 286
pcc has several known bugs concerning code generation. You might try getting
a different compiler. MetaWare Inc. of Santa Cruz, CA has a good one for 286
UNIX that is very solid and produces very optimized, fast executing code.

Ken Chapin