SCSI HOST ADAPTOR

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Wed Nov 15 02:54:00 AEST 1989

>I am planing to integrate a SCSI disk into my system, a 20MHz 386 box with
>2MB memory running XENIX.   I already have a SCSI disk, the problem now
>is which SCSI Host Adaptor to buy.
>After scanning through the latest COMPUTER SHOPPERS, I have found a couple
>of SCSI Host Adaptors.  The cheapest one is SEAGATE ST-01, around $50.  And
>for around $270 the Future Domain 841.  So my question is: why the SEAGATE
>ST-01 is SO cheap?  Is it really a SCSI Host Adaptor?  Can it works with
>XENIX?
>Any information will be greatly appreciated.

The ST-01 is a dumb SCSI host adapter that requires the software to do
everything for the SCSI bus.  Can you say overhead!  SCO has support for
the AHA-154[02][A] SCSI host adapters.  It can be gotten at Anthem, Wyle Labs
and Hamilton Avnet.  Street prices are about $279.00.  The ST-01 is only
intended for the MS-DOS market.
Somewhere, I have already posted my philosophy about cheap SCSI host adapters
but here it is again.
A good RLL controller/drive combination is better that a cheap SCSI adapter/
drive combination.  I know this is cliche, but with SCSI, you really get what
you pay for in terms of performance and reliability.  I hope this helps.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese