SCO UNIX 3.2 difficulty

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Tue Oct 3 13:22:34 AEST 1989

I have been very happily using my TB+ for dial-in/dial-out on a dumb
4-port Digiboard for almost a year now.  Last weekend when I upgraded
to 3.2, things broke.  The manual says that you can use /etc/getty for
bidirectional modem lines just like you could with XENIX, but that
does not seem to be true.  When getty is active on my tty2A device,
neither cu or uucico can use the line.  The error message is "CANNOT
ACCESS DEVICE."  I can understand this since both cu and uucico run
SUID uucp and the device is owned by bin and not writable by anyone else.
I also tried changing the permissions on the device, but getty changed
those too.

When I use uugetty on the modem line, I can dial out without difficulty.
The problem is when someone tries to dial in.  As soon as CD goes high,
the computer drops DTR and the modem hangs up.  I am using
    /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 60 tty2A m
for my inittab file entry.  Also, I am using the dialTBIT dialer if that
matters.  I have tried it with and without the -r option.  I would
really appreciate any ideas you 3.2 gurus out there might have.  Thanks
in advance for your time.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University