Two HD controllers (Was: Re: Xenix device drivers under Unix)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Sep 20 10:20:29 AEST 1989

In article <289 at van-bc.UUCP> sl at van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <246 at bahamut.fsc.com> jim at bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
>}
>}The WD1007 emulates at the register level the "standard" AT drive controller
>}(for instance, the WD1006), so no special drivers are needed for it.  I have
>}one in the machine I'm using now, and it has vanilla 2.3.1 running.
>}
>}To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
>}different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.
>
>At least some version's of the 1006 do. I have two installed on van-bc. Both
>are the RLL version, one with Floppy, one without. Also have a SCSI
>interface for a total of five hard disks.

Aha.  Perhaps the WD1006-SR1 have the proper jumper.  The one in question is
a capability to change the interrupt on the second board; that is missing
(the finger isn't there even!) on the WD1006-V/SR2.

All WD1006s can change the controller address, IF they have the jumpers.
All have the pads; feature 3 boards are missing the pins!  If you get a
feature 5 board it has all the pins you need.... but still requires some
hacking to change the IRQ line.

>I did have a weird configuration problem with the regular HD software. It
>just wouldn't configure (dparam) the second disk on the second controller
>properly. It kept going back to the same setup as the second disk on the
>first contoller. I "fixed" it by using identical drives as drive two on both
>controllers.

Turn off the BIOS on the secondary board (install W2 if on a WD1006VSR2,
other 1006s are similar).  The problem you are seeing is that both are trying
to mess with the first two drives, since the controller is relatively stupid
and doesn't know what you're up to.  Turning off the BIOS has no bad effects,
since it's not used or needed anyway once Xenix boots (and DOS/BIOS doesn't
know about secondary controllers).

To format the secondary drives is a pain in the neck; you need to set them
up temporarially as primary to do that.  Once formatted they will initialize
properly.

>All in all, it makes for a zippy little system.

Right on.  Those WD1006 boards are real smokers.  We love 'em.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]