Two HD controllers (Was: Re: Xenix device drivers under Unix)

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Wed Sep 20 14:44:20 AEST 1989

In article <246 at bahamut.fsc.com>, jim at bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
> In article <37102 at conexch.UUCP>, root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to use two hard disk controllers under
> > Xenix 386 2.3.0 when one is a WD1007-WA2 (ESDI) and the other a WD1006-WA2
> > (RLL/MFM)?  Is it necessary to run a specific ESDI release of Xenix or
> > install one of SCO's patches to use ESDI drives?
>
> To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
> different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.

Is there anyone out there that is aware of an AT controller card that has the
ability to be configured at another address and interrupt?
Is there anyone running multiple drive controller cards under SCO?
Are their any reasons why we couldn't run more then 1 drive controller
under SCO?

By the way, the WD-1007-WA2 is an ESDI to MFM converting controller, hence
the reason why it works under the standard vanilla SCO.
The WD-1003-WAH is a MFM Controller and was the standard controller shipped
with the PC/AT. The WD-1006-WAH is a MFM Controller with 1;1 interleaving
capability and full track buffering.  Roughly, (some of you get the finger
off the flame button! :-) ) the WD-1006-WAH offers almost a 40% performance
improvement over the WD-1003-WAH.  The WD-1005-WAH is an ESDI controller.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd at adelphi.UUCP  or  mark at promark.UUCP