Two HD controllers (Was: Re: Xenix device drivers under Unix)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Sep 25 23:45:52 AEST 1989

In article <78 at promark.UUCP> mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>In article <1989Sep20.002029.29212 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>> All WD1006s can change the controller address, IF they have the jumpers.
>> All have the pads; feature 3 boards are missing the pins!  If you get a
>> feature 5 board it has all the pins you need.... but still requires some
>> hacking to change the IRQ line.

>All WD-1006s?  I have two WD-1006-WAH and 4 extra Miniscribe 71 Meg MFM's
>sitting around and my home system suffers from only 140 meg of storage.
>Can I pop the other 1006 in and add two other drives?  If I have to cut
>a trace or two, I need some detailed instructions since I have no manuals
>for the controllers.

Hmmm... No manuals, eh?  Well, try your dealer for those.  We have them, but
one with each board.... no extras unfortunately.

As for hacking the traces and the like, someone just posted an article on
just that subject.  It should still be around.

>> Turn off the BIOS on the secondary board (install W2 if on a WD1006VSR2,
>> other 1006s are similar).

>Does this apply with the WAH controllers?  Also, I never heard of the
>WD1006VSR2 controllers.  What is the difference between 1006WAH, and 1006VSR2?

The WD1006V/SR2 is a hard/floppy controller.  The older WAH boards aren't
all surface mount from what I understand, the VSRx series is.  I don't know
all the differences between them as far as jumpers and the like go.

There is also a SR1 board which is the same but less floppy control.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]