RLL formats & SCO Xenix

MARK LEVY mark.levy at canremote.uucp
Tue Feb 6 21:30:00 AEST 1990

Au>From: Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino at cup.portal.com
Au>Orga: The Portal System (TM)

Au>I asked for an upgrade of hard disk from some 65MB to 110MB on my
Au>last purcha of an 386 computer; only to find out when I looked
Au>closely that the hard disk was formatted up to 110 with an RLL
Au>controller. I should think that it si false advertising to say you
Au>are selling a 30MB disk when it is actually a 20MB disk formatted to
Au>30MB capacity.  I take it that  the 95 adde cost on my bill was
Au>actually for the us of the RLL technology. I need tyo  look at
Au>whether I paid for anything new at all. My other concern is what
Au>effect RLL can have on running SCO Xenix. The literature refers to
Au>some  legal use of some RLL disks by Xenix.  Should I return it for
Au>another type of disk? Any help appreciated. As an non-engineer I am
Au>giving up on understanding all these hardware particulars.

   I have had no problems since I installed an RLL controller in my
XENIX system.  It's been almost a year now, and not a hiccup.  I
am using a Mitsubishi MR-535, which is RLL cretified, and a Priam
ID-130, which isn't.  I don't want to start any wars on this subject,
but I have a high degree of confidence in the Priam drive.  My controller
is a WD 1006V-SR2

Mark
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a18 #3019
 ~ QNet 2.04a:NorthAmeriNet: Sound Advice BBS ~ Gladstone ~ MO