LaTeX for Xenix (posting sources here is a no-no)

Paul de Bra wsinpdb at eutws1.win.tue.nl
Sat Feb 24 02:49:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb20.194402.11461 at tah386.manhattan.ks.us> terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:
>gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>
>>If you haven't checked out the sources groups, try it some time.  The
>>best one is comp.sources.unix, which has the highest quality material,
>>though it's sometimes slow to get something published there.
>
>I think this is a gross understatement.  There have been reports
>of > 6 month delays getting stuff through c.s.u.  Also, I don't think Rich
>Salz, the moderator of c.s.u, would accept sources that were just
>minor modifications to something as widely available as TeX.

I have submitted a version of Tex for SCO Xenix 286 to comp.sources.unix
a long time ago and although I never got a rejection from Rich Salz the
sources never appeared as far as I know. I have posted these sources in this
very newsgroup, but it's been so long ago that I don't blame anyone for
not remembering or having missed them.

The source of Tex 2.0 (old but nevertheless just as useful as any newer
source as far as i know) is available for anonymous ftp from
tuewsd.tue.nl, that is number 192.16.184.9.
Remember that this port was done specifically for the 80286. It runs on
any 32 bit machine of course, but so does the official distribution.
This version is especially intended for machines with 16 bit ints.

You do need SCO Xenix 2.2.1 or newer. Older compilers are too buggy,
because the program needs the huge memory model.

Paul.
(debra at research.att.com)