Formatting 3.5 inch floppies on 386 Xenix

William R. Pearson wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU
Mon Jul 9 05:06:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul8.013434.723 at cstreet.uu.net> john at cstreet.UUCP (John Poplett) writes:
]On my Xenix 386 system, release 2.3.2, verification fails when
]formatting high-density 3.5" floppies on the second drive (using
]/dev/rfd1135ds18).
]
]However if I format one floppy from DOS first, subsequent
]formats from Xenix work suggesting that something's not quite
]right in the way the FD driver is initializing the FD controller
]that somehow the PC BIOS gets right.
]
]Has anyone run across this problem before? It certainly looks
]and acts and feels like a bug.

	I have had essentially the same experience.  No format under
Xenix, good format under DOS, read/write under Xenix.

Bill Pearson