Hard disk errors

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Tue Jun 5 12:42:06 AEST 1990

In article <30439 at cup.portal.com> compata at cup.portal.com (David H Close) writes:

| I do think SCO is getting further behind these days.  Maybe they should
| consider a satellite support center somewhere else in the country.  I'm sure
| that nearly everyone competent in Santa Cruz is already hired...

  No, the problem is that nobody want to work support. And nobody seems
to take the time to let their support people play with the systems for,
say, 2-3 hours a day, because that raises the cost a lot. The way you
train for anything is to do it, and talking on the phone trains people
to talk on the phone. People who try to fix broken systems are good at
fixing broken systems.

  This doesn't mean that the people answering the phone aren't
competent, just that they don't seem to get enough time fighting with
problems. Maybe the answer is to make the top developers handle tough
questions 4 hours a week, although I guess if you can convince the first
few people that you have a real problem then you can get to talk to
someone more senior.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX