Text formatting utility (MAN pages) for XENIX.

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Wed Jun 6 11:12:02 AEST 1990

NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:

>I have XENIX 2.3.3 with the development system but no text processing.  I have
>loaded and setup TeX under XENIX and that along with a collection of previewers
>and DVI drivers handles my text processing needs.

>The problems comes in handling UNIX(c) pages that are formatted using (I think)
>nroff coding conventions.  I have ported a bunch of useful UNIX utilities to
>the XENIX environment and have a whole collection of document files suffixed
>with a .8.  A person can read through these and garner useful information but
>it is not an optimum method for viewing documention.

I'm curious as to where Greg got the MAN pages if he doesn't have the
Text Processing System - my recollection is that the MAN pages are PART
of the TPS!

Regardless, I believe that the TeX distribution includes a TROFF -> TeX
converter.  If Greg has this, then he should be able to convert all the
MAN pages (or include the conversion as part of the MAN command process)
and then use the Info browser or the DVI previewers to look at the MAN
pages.

Does anyone else know more about the conversion utilities and whether this
can be done?