ESIX vs. SCO Xenix

Bradley W. Fisher brad at bradf.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 15:48:53 AEST 1990

There is one aspect of the *NIX wars that I haven't seen discussed
yet ... one that I consider to be of the utmost importance ...
how long does it take to back/restore from tape? So far comparing
SCO, Altos, NCR, and Interacive , SCO wins hands down! Typically,
80 megabytes will stream to tape in about 40 minutes under SCO with
a standard Wangtek 5099EN tape drive and PC-36 controller. The same
amount of data and tape system takes about 3 hours under Interactive.
Altos and NCR are slightly faster than 386ix, but *nobody* beats SCO
in this respect from what I've seen. Why is this?

Being in the service business, I don't usually have a few hours to stand
around waiting for a tape to finish so I can finish putting Humptey Dumptey
back together again after a crash. Also, only my SCO customers aren't
complaining that it takes *so* long to back up that they can't find
time to do it.

Now , I haven't seen ESIX yet, but I have seen Everex labeled tape systems
that are really Wangtek (does Everex really make anything of their own?)
and I'm wondering if their port of UNIX (and the tape driver code) is as
slow in the backup department. Perhaps someone can shed some light (figures?)
on this?

--
I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
	-== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm!bradf!brad		     | 602/894-5526