my uucp

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Thu Dec 6 13:39:13 AEST 1984

> We just got a letter yesterday announcing release of System V Release
> 2.2 (or some such) which has, among other things, paging!!

Oh, good.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, I feel free to mention
that the paging version of UNIX System V was supposed to be Beta
testing about now.  My guess is that the memory management scheme
presented by AT&T staff at the last Usenix conference is being used;
it was remarkably like DEC's (create/attach region, etc.), which means
that a reasonable implementation can be achieved using almost any
memory management architecture (including segmented architectures,
PDP-11s, etc.).  Now if they would only incorporate the 3B20A hooks
for a distributed kernel using semaphores into the standard product,
I for one would be a lot happier about UNIX's future.