/tmp and /usr/tmp - (nf)

paul at uiucuxc.UUCP paul at uiucuxc.UUCP
Wed Mar 21 18:32:32 AEST 1984

#R:amd70:-443200:uiucuxc:29300010:000:561
uiucuxc!paul    Mar 20 23:20:00 1984

In regard to the /tmp /usr/tmp split:

Back in the days of V6 on a PDP 11/50, /usr/tmp held the temp files
for the C/A/T 8 phototypesetter.  I think this was done for space
reasons.  Troff created rather large output files that would overflow
/tmp (which was part of the root filesystem).  Filling up the root was
an unkind thing to do to V6 - but I loved V6 anyway.

         Paul Pomes

uucp:    {decvax,ihnp4,pur-ee,ucbvax}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!paul
US Mail: Paul Pomes, University of Illinois
         1304 W Springfield, Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:   217-333-6262