Mailing articles to oneself for saving

Glenn Reid greid at adobe.UUCP
Sat Jan 25 17:55:20 AEST 1986

The best way to do this is to avoid passing it through sendmail.
The way sendmail delivers mail locally is typically to call /bin/mail
with the undocumented -d flag, meaning "deliver this directly to
/usr/spool/mail/whoever, I guarantee that the header and format of
the message are correct and appropriate."  /bin/mail then sticks it
into the spool file, no questions asked, adding only the Unix "From "
line at the beginning.  It will not add a From: field, a Sender:
field, or whatever, although, again, the Unix "From " field will still
be you.  This is usually not a problem.

So try piping the message from your news reader through the shell
command:

| /bin/mail -d myself

This is probaby pretty 4.2 specific, I don't know.  It seems awfully
non-likely-to-be-portable to me....

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems (disclaimer)
Palo Alto