How to make JOVE a PD editor ?? (and notes on other editors)

Ozan Yigit oz at yetti.UUCP
Wed Jan 8 07:29:35 AEST 1986

Could someone spell it out for me exactly what needs to be
changed in JOVE so that it could be PD ?? (You see, I have this
obsession to find a PD editor that is small, fast, and expandable..)

My examination of its sources indicate:
	[a]	Reg. expr. stuff is taken directly from ed,
		which, obviously is not PD.

		This could be replaced by the SEARCH routines
		of gosling's emacs, which, according to a recent
		posting, is PD.

	[b]	Temporary file I/O of JOVE is, according to the
		author's notes, taken from VI. This is obviously
		the case, by comparing the sources of both. Is this
		code fragment PD ?? If not, does someone have a
		PD replacement ??

Rest of the code does not remind me of anything else in UN*X sources,
so I assume that it does not contain any NON-PD stuff. Does anyone
know anything to the contrary ??

Why bother with jove ?? So far I could not find any OTHER editor that
is reasonably small, somewhat expandable, and does not take a
man-year to convert/improve/clean-up. (although some other editors
may be on the horizon..)

This is what I found:

		GNU Emacs:	Too big, too 4.2 dependent, I no way
				will it run on anything like a PDP-11.
				[Let me rephrase that: anything with
				restricted address space and/or small
				amounts of memory]

		Goslings Emacs:	We know all about that one..

		Monty's Emacs:	Small, and fast. But despite all my
				prayers, that one is not PD nor is
				it cheap. Even if I paid for it, how
				about sources ?? Probably need UN*X
				licences and red-tape to go thru.
				[I call it Monty's Emacs, as a short
				form of Montgomery's Emacs. No insult
				or cheap shot meant.]

		Jove:		Medium sized, messy code, some non-PD
				code fragments, but that can be fixed.
				Not very expandable. It will run on a
				PDP-11 using memory overlays. Some UN*X
				dependencies, which could also be fixed
				by those who do not have UN*X.

		u-Emacs:	Bare-bones emacs-like front-end, no
				temporary-file I/O. not expandable. We
				may see more of this editor. Lot cleaner
				code. Originally written by David Conroy.
				[The one who wrote the DECUS C compiler]

		sedt:		An excellent EDT-like editor. This one
				is written by a DEC engineer,
				Anker Berg-Sonne. This editor is found
				on some DEC bulletin boards, and runs on
				Rainbow, VMS and MS/DOS systems. Powerful
				macro capability. People who use it swear
				by it.  Sources are nowhere to be found.
				Presumably it is PD [an early version
				written in pascal was submitted to
				DECUS tape], but I cannot get a
				hold of the author to confirm this.
				[Does anyone know anything about its sources,
				or how to get in touch with the author ??]

		scame:		Emacs like, non-expandable, very messy
				code. Probably there are lotsa bugs, and
				needs lotsa work. Definitely PD.

		tores:		An emacs-like editor from MIT. It is
				found on an old USENIX tape. Hacked by
				students in Lincoln-Sudbury Highschool.
				[Where original JOVE was born]
				Dunno to much about it. Terminal handling
				is done thru a seperate process. May or
				may not be PD.

		ped:		Portable screen editor from UofT. Written
				in pascal, and probably not PD. Last I
				heard about it, it was much like EDT.

		amis:		Another emacs-like editor, from Europe.
				written in Pascal, and not PD.

Oz	(whizzard of something or another..)
--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]