System V IPC has no REMOVE_ON_EXIT bit

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Mon Jun 12 17:26:48 AEST 1989

In article <1151 at altos86.UUCP> clp at altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:

>Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or does System V
>IPC lack a bit which indicates that the shared memory, semaphore, or
>message should be removed automatically when my process exits?
>This would be an ultra-cool feature if I could ever figure out how
>to do it.

Yep - it don't have dat feature!

They all share some common code and data structures. Conceptually, semaphores
and IPC and shared memory are generally utilized by more than one process
(which may not even be running at the same time) and hence it wasn't thought
particularily valuable to have a "remove me at exit time" flag.

|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |