System V IPC has no REMOVE_ON_EXIT bit

Walt Weber weber_w at apollo.com
Mon Jun 12 17:26:43 AEST 1989

In article <1151 at altos86.UUCP> clp at altos86.Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:

>Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or does System V
>IPC lack a bit which indicates that the shared memory, semaphore, or
>message should be removed automatically when my process exits?

This behavior would seem to fly in the face of the understanding that the SYSV
IPC's are system-wide resources, and not "exported from a process".  The model
which appears to be most widely used (beware: limited sample!) is that a process
will be run from inittab which will create ("seed") the IPC feature with the
appropriate permissions, values, and sizes, and then exit.  All others will
block (or exit) if the environment they find is non-existent (or incorrect).

Why keep "placeholder" processes hanging around in the process table?

..walt...

--
Walt Weber                            Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x8315                  People's Republic of Massachusetts